Dancin in the kitchen! My favorite indoor workout
My No-Excuses Workout at home during a blizzard!
Part of our back-to-basics series – revisiting the nuts & bolts of getting healthy & fit
Yesterday in the aftermath of a snowstorm, I decided to stay in to work out. Somehow bundling up, shoveling out, and trudging out in the snow didn’t appeal at 6 am. So instead I put on the all-time new favorite play list and for 30 min I rocked it in the kitchen. It was a fun and great workout.
Jumping jacks, high knees, high kicks, speed skaters, lunges, squats, boxing footwork & jabs, my own version of Dirty Dancing footwork, shaking my booty and stepin it out (and a whole lot more of lunging and squatting). It was a great work out and I incorporated total body because I worked on getting my heart rate up and used weights intermittently for strength.
Most importantly, it really was fun. I think I perfected a few dance moves that will serve me well in my future dates when I take it to the dance floor in public! (Lucky guys who get to dance with me.) 😉
After many years of training with awesome trainers, I decided to bring my workouts to my home — in part to save money and in part to answer those peeps who comment that they can’t afford a gym membership or a personal trainer and they don’t have equipment at home. Sorry, but if you are in this camp, the truth is, those are excuses.
I have a small house with a small kitchen and I assure you that after my booty busting 30-min workout, I have not only burned calories but know I will continue the burn all day. Plus, I feel strong and accomplished after.
I’ve also used my Biggest Loser workout tapes for at-home workouts if I am in need of ideas, or when I was just starting out to make sure I was doing the right things and not hurting myself. There are always modifications on the tapes for beginners and for those with bad knees or back, etc.
So what’s on my awesome playlist. Here are some of my new favs that keep me moving and groovin.
Lori’s new cardio in the kitchen playlist (2016):
- Marchin On – One Replublic
- Pumped up Kicks – Foster the People
- I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
- I lived – One Republic
- Best Day of my Life – American Authors
- Uptown Funk – Bruno Mars
- All the Right Moves – One Republic
- I Can’t Help Myself – The Four Tops
- Wild One – Jerry Lee Lewis
- Happy — Pharrell Williams
- Twist & Shout – The Beatles
- Walk this Way – Aerosmith
- Pretty Woman — Ray Orbison
- Move Like Jagger – Maroon 5 & Christina Aguilera
- Shake it Off – Taylor Swift
- Rhythm of Love – Plain White T’s
- Say Hey, I love you — Michael Franti & Spearhead
Let me know what your favorite workout is? Or, if you want to help add to my play list that includes a little of everything — including some oldies, please do!
The point is to just get up and get your body moving, and in my case, I like to have a little fun with it as I experiment with some new shakin-my-booty dance moves I might want to use on the actual dance floor in public looking cute and hot! 🙂
Here are some of the other blogs on this topic, and in case you missed it, blogs from our back to basics January series:
- Lovin my new workout. Cardio in the kitchen (March 2015)
- Ever use the excuses, “I hate to exercise,” “I can’t do it,” or “I can’t afford it?” (Feb. 2015)
- Do one thing that feels good every day (Jan. 2015)
- 2016: How about a year of YOU in the equation? (Jan. 2016)
- Want to lose weight? Get smart first (Jan. 2016)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Salsa. Yum! (Jan. 2016)
- My go-to snacks for weight loss (Jan. 2016)
- 7 tips to increase your water intake for weight loss (Jan. 2016)