Where do you find inspiration?
My answer: All around me. Every day.
Lately, I’ve been keenly aware of all of the things around me that make me smile and inspire me to be the best person I can be. I have taken special note of the things and the people that inspire me to live in the moment, stay in the center of my equation, and approach the world from a foundation of true happiness.
The truth is, I am constantly inspired by little things. And this was not always the case. For years, I didn’t think about it or stop long enough to notice. Now, I am inspired every day.
For me, there is inspiration in…
- White twinkle lights
- The smell of fall
- Fresh flowers
- The scent of my favorite fall candles — pumpkin spice and salted caramel
- The sound of the leaves dropping from the trees in the quiet forest
- Receiving a good old fashioned card in the mail
- A rigorous hike or mountain climb
- Sweet good morning texts from a special someone
- Seeing a photograph of anyone that I love
- A great inspiring quote, like this one that came across my email this week and me smile: “The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something (someone) to love, and something to hope for.” – Allan K. Chalmers
- The sound of waves lapping against the shore
- The squeeze of a hand on yours when you need it most
- A conversation with my nephew about his day
- A great meeting with a client where I get to do work that I absolutely love and I shine, aka knock it out of the park
- And so much more!
I am also inspired by big things. Wow things, such as…
- Spectacular sunrises and sunsets (especially over the ocean)
- Stories and testimonials of personal triumph; seeing someone beat the odds
- A kind gesture from one human to another — doing something nice for someone in need
- Watching someone conquer their fear – and/or conquering your own!
- The wow of seeing a new ocean vista or a new place for the first time
- A host of inspiring writings and blogs from authors that I read on a regular basis – such as Brene Brown, Jennifer Pastiloff,Gretchen Rubin, Terry Cole, Dani Shapiro, Parker Palmer, Seth Godin, and so many more.
- And people in my life who amaze me with their optimism, positivity, strength and courage in the midst real adversity.
The latter is perhaps the biggest and best inspiration of all. Yep, I am continually inspired by the people in my life who are faced with the really tough stuff and find a way to live in the moment, accepting what they can’t control and adjusting only what they can; remaining positive, strong and brave and having faith in the face of real adversity and struggle.
This, to me is inspiring beyond measure. This, makes me want to be a better person. It inspires me to let go of what I can’t change and live with gratitude for all that I have. I am blessed to know so many friends in this place. Today, as I write this blog, I hold them in my heart and aspire to be as strong and brave and courageous as they are in the face of what is to come.
And so, to my dear close friends who are and have been in a personal battle these past months — and you know who are you — YOU are my greatest gift and my greatest inspiration! I love you. And I dedicate this blog to you.
To all peeps reading this, I ask: What inspires you? What keeps you strong and motivated and inspired to be your very best?
It’s worth thinking about and being grateful for.